Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Lentil Burritos

These are a different take on burritos, and I really liked them a lot! I couldn't find roasted garlic tomato sauce, so used regular tomato sauce and added in a garlic clove that I roasted myself. And in the interest of saving some money I used mozzarella instead of cheddar, since I already had it in the house (I do think cheddar would be better in these, though, because it has a stronger flavor). And, of course, I completely forgot to serve the sour cream I got to have with it!

Lentil Burritos
Southern Living

1 cup dried lentils
4 cups water
1 small onion, chopped
1 large green bell pepper, chopped
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Cheddar cheese
16 (7-inch) flour tortillas
1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce with roasted garlic
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon green taco sauce
1 teaspoon cornstarch
Toppings: sour cream, guacamole

Simmer lentils in 4 cups water in a saucepan over medium heat 20 minutes or until tender; drain, reserving 1 cup liquid.

Sauté onion and bell pepper in hot oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat 5 minutes or until tender. Remove from heat; stir in lentils and cheese. Spoon mixture evenly down center of each tortilla, and roll up. Place in a 13- x 9-inch baking dish.

Bring 3/4 cup reserved liquid, tomato sauce, cumin, and taco sauce to a boil in a saucepan. Stir together remaining 1/4 cup reserved liquid and cornstarch until smooth. Stir into sauce mixture, and cook over medium heat, stirring often, 10 minutes. Pour over burritos.

Bake at 350° for 10 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Serve with desired toppings.

8 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment