Thursday, October 22, 2009

Slow and Easy White Bean Cassoulet

When I saw this recipe posted on the Cooking Light Message Boards, I immediately put it on my menu for this week. Not only is it wallet-friendly, but since it is made in a slow-cooker I was able to throw it together in the morning, freeing up my (usually hectic) afternoon a little bit.
I was really good, and I would definitely made it again. I served it with crusty bread and a green salad.


Slow and Easy White Bean Cassoulet
Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker, Robin Robertson

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large yellow onion, chopped
2 large garlic cloves, minced
8 ounce baby carrots, halved (I used 2 regular carrots, chopped)
3 cups cooked, or 2 (15-ounce) cans, Great Northern beans, drained and rinsed
1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1/2 cup vegetable stock
1/4 cup white wine
2 bay leaves
2 teaspoons dried thyme
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup dried breadcrumbs
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley

Heat one tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, carrots and garlic, cover, and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.

Transfer onion mixture to a 4 quart slow cooker. Add beans, tomatoes, tomato paste, stock, wine, bay leaves and thyme. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.

When cassoulet is nearly ready to serve, lightly toast the breadcrumbs in the remaining tablespoon oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat.

To serve, remove and discard bay leaves, top with the toasted breadcrumbs, and garnish with the parsley.
4-6 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment